Last week our washer broke down. So, I have been running to my mom’s and to my friend’s house to do the laundry, with a basket attached to my hip. Not fun. But here is the bright side: out with the old, in with the new, and while we wait for our new washer to come in, I get to give my laundry room a well-deserved makeover.
On week 16 of my 52 weeks organization challenge, I cleaned and organized the cabinets in the laundry room. Besides that, there wasn’t much I could do to it although it was begging for a fresh coat of paint. Having to move the washer and dryer out of the room now, gave us a push to jump on the project.
I have had a white washer and a white dryer for the last 10 years, inside a laundry room with white cabinets and white walls. If we were going to start fresh, a pop of color was definitely a must. The azure inspiration comes from the new Samsung front loaders. My taste always gravitates towards blue hues, it’s in my nature. Azure is a shade of pure and bright blue (azzurro in Italian, azul in Spanish). Aren’t they beautiful?
I picked the color for the walls based on the machines. I went to Lowe’s, grabbed a couple of paint chips in the sand/stone shade I had in mind, and set them against the azure. I settled for Intuitive, a beautiful ‘greige’ shade by Olympic. I have read on several blogs that it is really hard to come up with a nice shade of greige, but when I set the Intuitive OL224 chip against the azure, there was no doubt in my mind that it was the one.
We won’t be getting the stands since the main idea is to place a countertop over the machines. Ok, ‘the main idea’ is an understatement, this is a dream I have had for the last three years, at least! Amanda’s laundry room makeover at The Hatched Home really inspired me. The wooden countertop is just perfect (see below) !
Laundry Room Decor and Other Accessories
Here are some other bits of inspiration I have to complete the look of the room. The following are affiliate links. For more information, please read my Affiliate Disclosure page.
- White and blue ceramic knobs. I can’t believe I never added knobs to my cabinet doors. Right now they’re so white and ‘blah!’, so this will be a great and inexpensive improvement.
- These hand knitted baskets. I think they will be perfect to keep on the countertop to toss dirty kitchen towels and placemats every night until I am ready to start a new load. And the occasional pair of socks my son leaves on the floor…
- I love this laundry room wall art. It’s fun, without being corny. The colors are subtle, it’s functional – I love the basket to momentarily toss mail or any other paper – and the clothespins add the perfect laundry room decor touch! I might or might not DIY a knock-off; I will let you know 🙂 – You can find it at World Market.
- This rug. It’s so beautiful, I almost don’t want to purchase it. I am undecided only because my laundry room is such a high traffic area since it’s the passageway from the garage to the family room and I am afraid the ivory would be more like gray in no time. I think it’s a nice wool rug for just under $25.00
- I purchased this wall-mounted drying rack a little over a year ago. I just didn’t have the drive to mount it because of my boring white laundry room. But the day is finally approaching!
So, as of today, the laundry room walls are painted in Intuitive OL224 from Olympic (available at Lowe’s), the trim and doors are painted in ultra white (semi-gloss), and I received the Azure washer (waiting on the dryer, hopefully, next month!). I will keep you updated and link back here for the big reveal!
Loved this inspiration board? Pin now, save for later! Just hover over the picture to share on social media.