” I’m on a mission to make my life simple, keep my house simply organized and enjoy my daily tasks by implementing stylish organization systems that will translate into a happy state of mind “
Welcome! I am Flavia.
When I graduated as an engineer, I never imagined I would be a blogger today. I have always loved writing, reading and creating, and what once was a hobby, turned into this wonderful new career. I founded Neat House. Sweet Home™ as a place where my engineering skills and my love for organization, design, and pretty aesthetics could meet.
I define myself as ‘an engineer by profession and an artist by heart’. The engineering background makes me precise, neat and a perfectionist. The artist in me balances out those moments when I want to go by the book and allows me to create wonderful things. I am obsessed with crafts, decoration, and design, and I am addicted to storage baskets and coffee. Lots of coffee. 🙂
Keeping up with the house seemed simple back then when there was only two of us. I was a newlywed and had recently moved into our first home which meant a clean slate. I had time to sort bills, paperwork, keep filing folders for each possible group, and clothes, sheets, and towels were neatly tucked away in their respective closets.
Fast forward a couple of years and we become 3. Becoming a mother has been a blessing and I would not trade one day for anything, but having a boy has meant we have more hot wheels than we can count, hence my obsession for storage containers.
How The Blog Came To Be
The idea of publishing this blog dawned on me by the kitchen sink… Go figure! When our son started going to preschool, I realized that if I did not start an organization system for all those first drawings and art projects he proudly brought home, not only I was going to lose my mind watching them pile up quickly on my kitchen counter, I was also going to kick myself if I ever lost his first school daily report.
Say what? Yes, I cherish little things like this.
Owning and running my home-based business has helped me manage my schedule at my convenience but managing time can be very tricky when you work from home and for small business owners like me, there’s no time to lose. Also, my work can be chaotic at times and I spend a lot of time sorting papers, tools, and computer files.
I am also addicted to ‘to-do’ lists. I designed my very own to fit my needs, posted it as a free printable and to my surprise, it has been the most popular post on the blog and one of the most popular printable to-do lists on Pinterest.
I decided to take my first steps to end unwanted clutter by developing simple, inexpensive, stylish and effective organization systems and solutions with some DIY-ing along the way.
10 Random Things About Me
- English is my second language. My maternal language is Spanish and I can also speak Italian.
- Coffee keeps me going. I love the aroma even more than the drink itself but still, I have 3 cups a day. Black, one sugar.
- I love cats. I was 2 years old the first time I interacted with one. I cried all night because I could not bring it home with me.
- I am addicted to Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter. Late at night, I sit in front of the TV and eat it right out of the jar. Spoonful after spoonful.
- I used to be a print and runway model. I paid cash for my first PC with the money I made on a photo shoot for a clothing catalog. The photo shoot lasted 12 hours and I earned the same amount of money I was earning in a whole month’s worth of work as an engineer intern.
- Country music stole my heart. I blast Luke Bryan’s songs in my car like nobody’s business. No shame. My son sings along with me: ‘Baby, watch your step now, better have your boots on’.
- ‘I Love Lucy’ + takeout buffalo wings and pizza = My kind of Friday night.
- It may sound cliché but Christmas is my favorite time of the year. Play some Elvis and give me some eggnog. Perfection.
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store is always a good idea. Always.
- I adore road trips.
I am pleased to share my projects, ideas and thrifty finds along with the random lifestyle rambling. Please join me on this journey and let’s organize our way to a much pleasant living.