Thank you Onelink by First Alert for sponsoring this post. A smart home should start with smart protection and Onelink by First Alert welcomes you to a smarter, safer home. In this post: how to install Onelink Safe and Sound alarm, and how to set it up!
Summer seems to be the time of the year when we get around to tackle long overdue home projects. Two weeks ago we stripped down our master bedroom from everything but the dresser and nightstands.
We finally changed the color of the walls, purchased a new bed, and soon we will be installing plantation shutters. Slowly but surely, our master bedroom retreat is taking shape, and now is my new favorite room in the house. Just a few more touches and it will be a dream!
One of the new changes that make me so excited about hanging out in my master bedroom, has been the addition of new smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Say what? Yes, our new Onelink by First Alert alarms make my heart sing! Figuratively and literally.
A Smart Home Should start with protection
It is no secret that I love smart devices. Not only they make the daily grind easier but they also make it fun. As much as I love carrying a daily planner under my arm wherever I go, I also love the convenience of a smart assistant.
But what if, a smart assistant could also help you keep your home safe?
We ditched our old smoke detectors in our master bedroom and installed two new ones from Onelink by First Alert. These are two amazing smart smoke and carbon monoxide alarms that conveniently add smart features to our home.
These intelligent smoke & carbon monoxide alarms send push notifications. If there is an emergency, whether home or away, we will receive an alert on our phones. Better yet, the alarms will announce with voice alert, the type and location of the danger.
Watch the video below for a quick rundown on what these SMART SMOKE DETECTORS CAN DO FOR YOU!
Smoke DEtector #1: Onelink Safe & Sound
When I opened the kit, I had no doubt that I wanted to install the Onelink Safe & Sound in my master bedroom.
Onelink Safe & Sound is a 3-in-1 product that everyone should have installed in their homes. These are the features:
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarm
- Premium home speaker
Not a day goes by without me listening to radio shows, music, or white noise sounds. Whether I am working on a project (like an entire week painting the walls of this room!), writing, meditating, or simply doing house chores, I enjoy ‘the company’ of my favorite songs and sounds.
Onelink Safe & Sound makes my life easier and more enjoyable. And I can not tell you the amazing sound experience! This is definitely the best addition to our master retreat.
Smoke DEtector #2: Onelink Smart Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm
The Onelink Smart Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm is also a smart smoke detector, just not a speaker, nor Alexa-enabled. But it still offers 2-in-1 protection against smoke and carbon monoxide.
Once installed and connected to the app, it will notify you (through a push notification to your phone) if there is a smoke or carbon monoxide emergency in your home whether you are home or away. And, just like Onelink Safe & Sound, it also announces the type and location of danger with voice alert.
How to Install Onelink Safe and sound
The Onelink Smart Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm comes in two presentations: hardwired and battery-powered.
The Onelink Safe & Sound comes hardwired only. For your reference, both of the smoke detectors I installed are hardwired.
You Should Know
- For the battery-powered version, if installed on the wall, it should be no further than 12 inches from the ceiling.
- The Onelink Safe & Sound (shown below) should be installed on the ceiling only.
Whether you are installing Onelink Safe & Sound or Onelink Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, follow the same steps for each to install them yourself. It is very easy!
Each box comes with:
- Mounting bracket
- Two screws
- 3 cable connections (you will only use one, depending on the type of your connection)
- Operation manual and instructions
Time needed: 1 hour
- REMOVE OLD SMOKE DETECTOR
Remove the old smoke detector by rotating it counterclockwise, and unplug the wires. Most mounting brackets are attached with two screws. With a screw gun or a manual screwdriver, remove the old bracket.
- INSTALL NEW BRACKET
There are 8 mounting holes (4 on each side of the bracket) choose the ones that better fit the location of the screws you just removed.
- PLUG IN THE CONNECTION EXTENSION
Choose the connection cable that fits your current smoke detector’s connection and plug it in.
- CONNECT THE ALARM
Connect the extension cable connector to the alarm.
- ATTACH TO MOUNTING BRACKET
Attach the alarm to the mounting bracket using the marks on the bracket as guide.
- TWIST THE ALARM
Attach, twist clockwise to lock in place, and you are done!
Onelink Smart Smoke detectors installed
Here’s a full view of both alarms installed in our master bedroom.
- The Onelink Smoke & CO Alarm is installed in the ‘foyer’ of our bedroom. This small area leads to the master bathroom and walk-in closets.
- The Onelink Safe & Sound (Alexa-enabled and speaker) is installed in the main room, near the highest point of the ceiling.
From the comfort of my bed, through the Onelink Home app, I can control the built-in nightlight. You can set the nightlight to any color of the spectrum.
So, next up: Download the Onelink Home app
Download the Onelink Home App
On your smartphone, look up the Onelink Home app on the app store. Install the app, and create an account. Once your account is confirmed, you can add the installed devices to your list of devices on the app.
Onelink Safe & Sound will prompt you to connect to your Amazon account in order to connect with Alexa services.
But, even if you do not have an Amazon account, Onelink Safe & Sound is Bluetooth, so it can connect to your phone and you can still play your music!
Fire Safety Tips
Smart smoke detectors and alarms are only useful when they are installed and cared for properly. Please always follow the fire safety tips listed below.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home, and in every bedroom.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms regularly. With Onelink alarms, you can easily test your alarm from your phone through the Onelink Home app.
- Replace your alarms at least every ten years
- Plan and practice an evacuation route or fire escape plan with your family.
Win a Onelink Smart protection Kit
First Alert is giving away 3 Onelink Smart Protection Kits. Enter below for a chance to win one just like mine!
- Kit includes Onelink Safe & Sound and Onelink Smoke + CO Alarm (ARV $386)
- Enter the giveaway through the widget below with the following options:
- Follow the brand on Twitter
- Visit the brand’s Facebook page
- Visit the brand’s Instagram page
- Winners will be randomly selected and notified the week of July 8
- The official Terms & Conditions are included in the widget
- Age 18+
- US resident only
- Only one winner per household