You guys! You know how much I love a trip to the craft store. So, my girlfriend and I went shopping for supplies to make a memorable and ‘out of the box’ (literally) favor to give away at her baby’s baptism. When we saw these adorable glass jars with corks we knew we had to put sand in them, that’s when the prayer Footprints in the Sand came to my mind.
Regardless of your beliefs, this is a beautiful keepsake to give away at your next religious celebration. Just alter some details accordingly.
What You Need
We purchased all the supplies at our local Michaels Arts and Crafts store except for the paper and some other tools I already own. Some links may be affiliate links, for more information please read my Affiliate Disclosure.
- Mini glass bottles with cork, 3 inch x 1 1/4 inch – I purchased these glass bottles at my local Michaels Arts and Crafts store. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued, but one of my lovely readers was so kind to share with us these from Walmart.
- Decorative white sand – a 28 oz bag yields 20 glass jars approx. (filled 1 inch.)
- Coarse gold glitter – I recommend using the coarse kind. Regular fine glitter will mix with the sand and you won’t achieve the same effect.
- 1 – spool of satin ribbon, 1/8 inch wide – Color of your choice, I used baby blue.
- 1 – spool of jute ribbon – I used 5/8 inch wide because this was the height of the neck of the jar (choose your width accordingly)
- Natural twine (jute) – to tie the cards.
- Ultra white copy paper – I personally recommend ultra white for a flawless and ‘true to life’ color finish on my printables.
- Color printer
- Scissors or guillotine
- ‘Footprints in the Sand’ printable –$5.49 – instant download
- Small cross charms (up to 1 inch tall) – I used these from Michaels. Here is another option (you get many more for your money!)
- Multi temp glue gun – I love my cordless multi-temp gun. I have been using it for a few years now. My favorite feature is the flat base.
- Multi temp mini glue sticks
- Self adhesive rhinestones (3 mm) – optional
Step 1: Print and cut the cards
Print your ‘Footprints in the Sand’ file on white copy paper.
- Page 1: consists of 6 – 5 inch x 2.5 inch ‘Footprints in the Sand’ cards.
- Page 2: is a solid weathered paper background. Printing this page is optional. Print it on the opposite side of the paper where you printed page 1 if you would like to see the weathered paper look when the card is rolled.
Once printed, cut the cards along the lines.
Step 2: Measure and cut
Before you start your assembly line (I made 18 of these), make sure to have all your material cut and ready.
- Twine: 12 inches was enough to wrap three times around the rolled prayer and tie it in a bow.
- Jute Ribbon: 3 1/4 inches was enough to wrap around each bottle’s neck. Adjust this measurement according to the size of your bottles.
- Satin Ribbon: cut pieces of 20 inches each of the satin ribbon. Thread the cross charms.
Step 3: Roll and Tie
With the help of a pencil, start rolling the card starting at the bottom working your way up to the footprints.
Roll, roll, roll and hold tight.
Tie in a bow.
Step 4: Fill the Jar
Cut a small opening (in a diagonal) in one of the corners of the bag of sand and fill each jar with 1 inch of sand.
Tilt the jar a little, and insert the rolled up card in the bottle with the help of the pencil. Sharpen your pencil so you can insert all the way in the corner in a diagonal direction. These set of printable cards are designed to fit inside a 3-inch tall glass bottle.
Sprinkle the glitter.
Step 3: Add Finishing Touches
Squeeze a thin line of glue on the neck of the jar and quickly wrap the jute strip around it.
Remember, if you can’t find a jute ribbon with the exact width to fit the neck of the jar, you can always tie the jute twine around it and achieve the same effect.
Starting at the front of your jar, center the charm in the string of ribbon, cross in the back and affix with a dot of hot glue.
Bring the two ends to the front and tie with a bow. Decorate with a rhinestone.
And you are done!
I am utterly in love with these little favors, now available for sale by the dozen, at my shop! They are definitely something I have never seen before. And -trust me- I have seen a lot!
You don’t necessary have to use the ‘Footprints in the Sand’ prayer, think about all the occasions you can make these favors for and how you could customize the message inside the bottle. Endless!
Planning a religious celebration? Love this project?
For more party and events ideas, follow my Party Ideas on Pinterest!
UPDATE: Unfortunately, Michaels stopped selling the glass jars I purchased for this project. However, one of my readers was kind enough to share this Walmart find with us. These jars measure a half inch taller than the ones I used, so they will still work and the custom Footprints in the Sand printable I prepared will still fit! You can purchase (affiliate link) by clicking on the banner below!