I know what you’re thinking: How in the world did I go from organizing all those drawers and staining bathroom shelves, to writing how to make Cafe con Leche (Coffee with Milk)?. Well, I promise that you won’t be disappointed. Because the truth is, I LOVE coffee, I run on coffee, and writing this blog would not be possible without…yep, coffee.
Born from a Colombian mother, and an Italian father, you have to understand that coffee, and the way you make it, has always been a big deal for me. I was probably 4 years old, and I can clearly remember sipping black coffee from my mom’s mid-afternoon cup. That memory is tattooed in my brain. At a very young age, my dad taught me how to pack those coffee grinds in the funnel of our Bialetti to make the richest stovetop espresso. Oh, I miss those days! As I write this, I can hear the gurgling noise of the coffee brewing on the stovetop, and the rich aroma in our home.
But anyway, when you’re 4 years old, you can not have an espresso, so mom’s Cafe con Leche (coffee with milk) was the perfect way to satisfy my craving for coffee. This fall, I am adding a new ‘old favorite’ to my hot beverage rotation.
Here is how to make Cafe con Leche that is creamy, sweetened to your taste, in the comfort of your own home, and see how you can crush your morning by getting it done in under 15 minutes. Do you want to crush it even more? Pour it in a Dixie® To Go cup and be out the door like a champ without having to set a foot inside the overpriced coffee shop.
Crushing Your Morning
Life is full of ups and downs. And sometimes you may feel like there are more downs than ups. I hear you. But, let’s try to look at the glass half full and the bright side of things! Here are some little wins that make me happy.
- Getting off of bed as soon as the alarm goes off, without hitting the snooze button once! #win
- Finding quickly my favorite pair of leggings, clean and folded in my disarrayed walk-in closet
- Packing lunch boxes without any rush, and still have some time to watch the morning news
- Hoping in the car between 7:30 and 7:33 each weekday morning. Son buckled in, backpack and lunch box in the back seat, coffee to-go in hand. That’s a #totalwin
- Having a plan for dinner same day by noon. #majorwin
I have learned how to avoid the morning rush, and pouring my coffee in a Dixie® To Go cup, allows me to enjoy my favorite hot drink confidently, without having to worry about any spills or leaks. As soon as I get in my car (that 7:30 WIN!), I set it down in the cup holder and take little sips while moving slowly in the long carpool line at school. The insulated layers keep my coffee warm and my fingers cool. And when I get home, there’s one cup less in the sink. Yes, that’s a big deal.
If there is a moment in my day when I feel that I am definitely crushing it, that moment is in the carpool line. I have a quiet conversation with my son and we practice spelling high-frequency words, math problems, or any other lesson he needs to be prepared for that day. We discuss the things he needs to remember to hand the teacher, the story we read the night before, and the plans we have for the day or the week ahead. All of that while sipping on my homemade Cafe con Leche, which happens to be delicious and free. No need to stop at DD or Starbucks. One less stop to do in my daily routine, saving me $5 or $6.
Yep, crushed it!
How To Make Cafe con Leche
I love black coffee, but during the fall months, I crave a creamier and sweeter eye opener. So this fall I am going back to my roots! Why pay for that pricey latte at the coffee shop, when I can make my own sweet and creamy Cafe con Leche at home? To make creamy and smooth foam, I use a milk frother. If you don’t have one, you can whip the milk using a whisk until froth forms. Here is my recipe.
The secret to the creamiest Cafe con Leche, is using whole milk as your base liquid and not using brewed coffee, but instant freeze-dried coffee instead. This way you’re not adding liquid on top of liquid. I promise you will love this Cafe con Leche!
- 1 cup of whole milk – Whole milk makes a creamier, and full bodied Cafe con Leche. Feel free to use skim milk, if you prefer.
- 1 teaspoon of freeze-dried (instant) coffee – I prefer Cafe Buendia by Juan Valdez, 100% Colombian
- Sugar to taste – I sweeten my coffee with white refined sugar. Feel free to use a sugar substitute. However, I do not recommend using honey, agave nectar, or other liquid sweeteners.
- Optional: ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, heat up milk in medium setting, and remove from heat just before boiling. When white foam starts forming, turn the heat off and remove saucepan from the burner.
- Allow to cool for 1 to 2 minutes. In the meantime, add freeze-dried coffee and sugar to a mug or cup.
- Transfer warm milk in the frother, and proceed to froth milk according to frother directions.
- Pour milk inside the cup with coffee and sugar leaving foam for last, stir, add foam .
- Optional: Sprinkle ground cinnamon over the foam.
Free Hot Beverage Station Chalkboard Sign and Labels
If you’re throwing any kind of gathering this fall, I have a ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ chalkboard art sign, and set of free printable labels so you can style your own and beautiful Hot Fall Beverage Station.
To download your free printable art and labels click on the link below:
Don’t have time to download now? Pin any of the images below and save for later!
Grab this free ‘Baby, it’s cold outside’ printable and style your own hot drinks station.
Grab these free printable tags and style your own hot drinks station.
Hoping you’re having a very Happy Fall,
I was selected for this paid opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.